Saturday, September 03, 2005

And on...

Well, the swimmer in distress turned into a nothing burger. I'm not sure if she wasn't in distress and was just out for an evening swim or if she was in distress, but the final result was that she got to the beach just fine... We'd launched two small boats -- from two different stations -- but the case resolved itself within about 7 minutes... The original call went from the reporting source to 911; the 911 dispatch center then called us... and we couldn't get back to the reporting source for additional information. I love 911, but it doesn't work too well in the maritime environment. The 911 folks don't know what questions to ask, no matter how often we send them our checksheets and job aids...

The shrimper got in okay. We moored it up and the boat crew did a boarding and found some minor discrepancies. The crew returned to the station and faxed the command center the results of the post-SAR boarding; then the captain of the port decided to issue an order to ensure the owner of the vessel made necessary repairs. The boarding officer and another Coastie returned to the boat to give the operator the order and he wouldn't take it. So the boarding officer started to read the order to the guy. The shrimper then decided he didn't want any more of it, so he attempted to get past the boarding officer by pushing his was through.

Er, that didn't go over to well. The shrimper soon found himself in handcuffs with local law enforcement on the way.

So, we rescued the guy, and then we wanted to make sure his boat was fixed and wouldn't break down and sink the next time he goes out, and he commits simple assault on the boaarding officer, and he ends up in front of the local magistrate. I don't think he's a satisfied customer.

Anyway, the phone calls on this aspect of the case involved me being on the phone for two hours (2300 to 0100 or so) on a conference call with people coming in and out of the conversation -- my boss, the boarding officer, the sector command center watch team, the district command center watch team, the operational law attorney.

Elliot, my 16-month old son was still up -- he was just getting to sleep when the phone rang the first time for this part of the case. I ended up in the kitchen, phone to one ear, my references spread out on the table... cooking pancakes for a midnight snack for me and Elliot.

And now, as the sun comes up, we're working a Mayday call.

I'd been asleep when I got the call at 0530 or so. When I called my boss, the commander, to brief him on the case, he was already up, at his computer, and logging in to his work account. I'm not sure if it's dedication or stupidity. At least the CDO role is rotated among a pool of officers; I'm finishing my 2nd week, but usually it's just a week on. He, however, takes calls always unless he's on leave. I'm available 7x24, but unless I have the watch, I generally don't get called for anything. He, however, probably doesn't ever get a full night's sleep.

And this is all just routine. The pace down south is a million times bigger and faster right now.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a fellow Coastie with a blog. I am stationed at Airsta Atlantic City. Nice pics.