A Honolulu police officer died on Sunday from injuries suffered when his motorcycle crashed while escorting President George W. Bush during his Hawaii visit last week.Perhaps you didn't hear that Officer Favela was also Petty Officer Favela, a First Class Port Security Specialist with the United States Coast Guard Reserve.
Steve Favella, 30, of Ewa Beach on Oahu, died at The Queen's Medical Center, said Honolulu Police Department spokesman Captain Frank Fujii.
Favella had been in critical condition with internal injuries following the crash on November 21 as the presidential motorcade left Hickam Air Force Base. Favella had been with the Honolulu Police Department for eight years.
P 271939Z NOV 06
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: COAST GUARD LOSS OF LIFE
1. IT IS WITH GREAT SADNESS THAT I INFORM YOU OF THE TRAGIC LOSS OF ONE OF OUR SHIPMATES IN HAWAII. PORT SECURITY SPECIALIST FIRST CLASS STEVE FAVELA, A DRILLING RESERVIST WITH MSST HONOLULU, PASSED AWAY OVER THANKSGIVING WEEKEND FROM INJURIES SUSTAINED WHILE IN THE LINE OF DUTY AS A POLICE OFFICER WITH THE HONOLULU POLICE DEPARTMENT. HE WAS PARTICIPATING IN A PRESIDENTIAL MOTORCADE WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE HE WAS RIDING WENT OUT OF CONTROL. AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT, HE WAS ESCORTING THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES TO AIR FORCE ONE. HE WAS TAKEN TO QUEEN'S MEDICAL CENTER IN CRITICAL CONDITION, BUT COULD NOT BE SAVED.
2. PS1 FAVELA LIVED AND DIED HONORABLY. HE SERVED HIS COMMUNITY AND HIS NATION NOT ONLY AS A RESERVIST, BUT IN HIS FULLTIME POLICE WORK. THE EXAMPLE HE SET IS AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US IN THE COAST GUARD. HE WAS 30 YEARS OLD AND IS SURVIVED BY HIS WIFE, TWO DAUGHTERS AND A SON.
3. THIS LOSS IS A REMINDER TO ALL OF US THAT WE OPERATE IN A HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENT. IT ALSO REMINDS US THAT COAST GUARD MEN AND WOMEN, ACTIVE DUTY AND RESERVE, SERVE OUR NATION PROUDLY ACROSS THE REACHES OF THE GLOBE TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT OUR NATIONAL INTERESTS. WE ARE PROUD OF PS1 FAVELA'S SELFLESS SERVICE AND HONOR HIM BY OUR CONTINUED DEDICATION TO THE IMPORTANT WORK WE DO FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
4. PLEASE JOIN THE DIRECTOR OF THE SECRET SERVICE, MARK SULLIVAN, AND ME, IN TAKING A MOMENT TODAY TO REFLECT ON THE LOSS OF THIS BRAVE AND DEDICATED MEMBER OF OUR COAST GUARD FAMILY IN WHATEVER WAY YOU FIND MOST APPROPRIATE. PLEASE KEEP HIS FAMILY, FRIENDS AND SHIPMATES IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
5. ADMIRAL THAD ALLEN SENDS.
6. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.
I'd missed this link; my thanks to the Brown Hound for his posting today.
* And, yes, I'm using the Brown Hound's own post title, my own creativity having been sucked dry.