Here's my question for the day:
I've been thinking about this notion of the political center. Does the center mean compromise? I don't think so, although I think that is the popular thinking.
I think the center is the place to find what Stephen Covey calls the third alternative. The third alternative is not my way or your way, but rather a third way which we discover together and is better than my way or your way.
Can we find the center, the third alternative? Or will we continue to be torn apart by partisan hacks? Will we continue to suffer ad hominem attacks from the both sides of the political spectrum?
Let's look for solutions to these crucial issues:
- global terrorism
- our national debt
- our dependence on foreign oil
- the emergence of India and China as strategic competitors and/or allies
- nuclear proliferation
- global climate change
- the corruption of Washington’s lobbying system
- the education of our young, the health care of all
- the disappearance of the American Dream for so many of our people