Received via email; I'm glad the Service is getting the word out, albeit later than I would have wanted. Message also was posted on the CGR site.
For Coastie readers, let's remember to be safe out there. No operation is without risk, particularly the ones we think of as no-brainers. Complacency is the enemy.
R 271814Z MAR 07 ZUI
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: LOSS IN THE LINE OF DUTY
1. IT IS WITH GREAT SADNESS THAT I INFORM YOU OF THE TRAGIC LOSS OF ONE OF OUR SHIPMATES. PS3 RONALD GILL, 26, DIED SUNDAY IN THE LINE OF DUTY WHILE CONDUCTING OPERATIONS WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF MSST 91111 NORTH OF VASHON ISLAND IN PUGET SOUND.
2. PS3 GILL WAS DEPLOYED TO SEATTLE FROM ANCHORAGE, ALASKA AND WAS ON PATROL WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF HIS TEAM WHEN HE WAS EJECTED FROM A 25-FOOT DEFENDER BOAT. DESPITE AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE BY COAST GUARD UNITS TO PROVIDE FIRST AID AND QUICKLY TRANSPORT PS3 GILL TO A NEARBY MEDICAL CENTER, PS3 GILL SUCCUMBED TO HIS INJURIES.
3. A THOROUGH AND COMPLETE INVESTIGATION IS UNDERWAY TO DETERMINE THE CIRCUMSTANCES LEADING UP TO THIS ACCIDENT.
4. COAST GUARD MEN AND WOMEN OPERATE IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS EVERY DAY. THAT IS THE NATURE OF OUR DUTY, YET WE MUST ALWAYS REMAIN VIGILANT. PS3 GILL MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE FOR HIS NATION. WE ARE PROUD OF HIS SELFLESS SERVICE AND HONOR HIM BY OUR CONTINUED DEDICATION TO THE IMPORTANT WORK WE DO FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
5. PLEASE JOIN SECRETARY CHERTOFF AND ME IN KEEPING HIS WIFE, FAMILY, FRIENDS AND SHIPMATES IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS IN THE DAYS TO COME. DETAILS ON MEMORIAL SERVICES WILL BE PROVIDED WHEN AVAILABLE.
6. ADMIRAL THAD ALLEN SENDS.
7. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.
For everyone, do keep Ronald Gill's family and shipmates in your thoughts and prayers.